Monday, August 13, 2007

More rock shows

Last night, I went to 21 Grand to see Mikaela’s Fiend, a two-piece from Seattle. I’d seen them a couple years ago at the WC, and I was totally blown away by their drummer, then not even old enough to buy cigarettes. I missed their last bay area show ‘cause I was sick, so I was stoked to be able to see them this time.

Since I last saw them, the drummer had blossomed into a young rock star with a seemingly unquenchable thirst for apple juice, which he guzzled from a large glass jug. He encouraged the audience to gather around him, while the peripheral guitarist just sorta blended in with the crowd. They were just as great as before, if not better. During the last song of their set, the drummer (gee, I really should have found out his name...) passed off the pieces of his drum kit to various crowd members, then retreated to a corner to work on a Rubik’s cube. He worked quickly while the noise-punk drum circle created the soundtrack. When he was close to finishing, he looked at the cube with a confused look. At first I thought he was stuck, but really, he was just memorizing the final moves. He stood on top of an amplifier and looked at the ceiling while he finished the puzzle, then leapt down to once again shred the drums.

It was undoubtedly the greatest moment in the history of Rubik’s cubes.

Incidentally, this entry is not meant to insult the other rad bands I saw this weekend: Militant Children’s Hour, Audacity, Party Fowl, and of course, the Traditional Fools and the Rantouls. They were great too. It does make me think it would be better for my self esteem to start going out to see shitty bands with members who are older than me.

No comments: